Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Thanks For Holding It Together"

Lisa and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary today. "Happy Anniversary, Lisa."

Earlier today, I received congratulatory text messages from my brothers, Brooks and Luke. Their anniversaries are this week too. Luke and Audrey will celebrate 26 years tomorrow (December 18). Brooks and Barb will be married 28 years on December 20.

I like what Luke's text said today, "Thanks for holding it together."

His five words got me thinking. In a day and age when couples call it quits way too much, I am thankful for a wife that is committed to "holding it together." I'm also thankful for...

1. My parents who've modeled "holding it together" for 53 years.
2. My father and mother-in-law who've modeled "holding it together" for nearly 50 years.
3. Brothers who've modeled "holding it together" for over 25 years.
4. Sons who need and expect their parents to "hold it together" during their lifetimes.
5. Friends who encourage us during seasons where it's challenging to "hold it together."
6. A congregation that prays for us to "hold it together.
7. A wife that is worth every effort to "hold it together" everyday of our lives together.

And mostly,

8. A God who is the faithful Third Strand that "holds Lisa and I together."

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
(Ecclesiastes 4:12)


(Mom & Pop)
(Luke & Audrey)
(Brooks & Barb)

No comments: