Monday, December 1, 2008

Waiting & Peeking

“Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End…Yes, I am coming soon.”
—Jesus, Revelation 22:12-13, 20 (NIV)

I don’t wait well. Anticipation usually gets the better of me. This is especially true at Christmastime.

Case in point: All I wanted for Christmas in 1971 was a Hot Wheels race track. Since my wait couldn’t outlast my wonder I started snooping two weeks before Christmas Day. Mom and Pop weren’t particularly creative in hiding our presents. So, I went to the first place I could think of…under their bed. I found a thin, long, rectangular box that was already wrapped. I wasn’t certain that the box contained what I wanted, so I had to peel back one corner to confirm the gift. Sure enough, I got it!

Now, you’d think verifying the toy would’ve pacified my waiting. Nope. Seeing the gift served only to pique my wonder, “What would it be like to experience this gift now?” Nearly every day until Christmas, I’d retrieve the box from underneath the bed, peel back a corner of the box, pull out some track pieces, and race my cars. Then, when I was done (or when I heard a noise in the hallway) I’d stuff the pieces back in the box, reapply the tape, and carefully place the box back in its exact location.

Did I mention that I don’t wait well?

The calendar has turned to Advent…a season of quiet waiting and joyful expectancy. For there to be anticipation, something or someone must be coming. During Advent, Christians everywhere live in anticipation of the final coming of Christ, which brings these “heavenly” benefits along with His mighty presence: “There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Revelation 21:4).

“There will be no more...,” gives me reason to wait in joyful expectation of an eternity where there will be no more death and pain and sorrow and crying and mourning. Yet, I must admit that I can’t wait for the days of “no more.” I ache for an eternity of “no more”… no more sin, no more sickness, no more war, no more violence, no more abuse, no more addiction, no more divorce, no more poverty, no more cynicism and hopelessness, no more hatred, no more, No More, NO MORE!

So what is an impatient 42-year old suppose to do in the meantime? I will start peeking, of course. I will look for the momentary “no mores” that bear evidence that God’s will is at work on earth as it is in heaven. I will peek to find moments where God has chosen to heal the sick. I will peek to spot God meeting the needs of the poor through the generosity of His Church. I will peek to catch sight of God bringing reconciliation to the estranged husband and wife. I will peek to set eyes on God delivering those men and women, boys and girls caught in the trap of addiction. I will peek to observe the cessation of war and cheer God for His victory.

This Advent, let’s wait together for the days of “no more,” when Christ will return as promised. But, if you start peeking without me, let me know what you find. It’s the kind of encouragement that helps us wait a little bit longer.

No comments: