Monday, April 12, 2010

Wanted: Dead but Alive

"In the same way, count yourselves DEAD to sin
BUT ALIVE to God in Christ Jesus."
(Romans 6:11)

I've been privilege to baptize Christ-followers for 22 years. And, the experience never gets old. Chills run down my spine every time I hear a believer say, "I want people to know that Jesus is my Lord and I will follow Him for the rest of my life." Four individuals were baptized yesterday at Devonshire Church. It was so encouraging!

Yet, it was also very challenging. Every time a believer is baptized it reminds me of my baptism. I made the same profession. And, there's the challenge. Every baptism I witness, I'm forced to ask the question,

"Am I living up to my baptism?"


You've heard the old slogan, "Wanted: Dead or Alive." But Saint Paul offers a different slogan for all of us who used to be spiritual outlaws, "Wanted: Dead BUT Alive!" In Christ, we can be both dead and alive. It's mysterious and it's real. When we were baptized into Christ, Saint Paul says we "were baptized into [Christ's] death" (Romans 6:3). He goes on to explain the mysterious benefit, "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life" (Romans 6:4).

Today, let me encourage you to live up to your baptism. "Count yourself dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus" (Romans 6:11). Say "no" to wickedness and "yes" to righteousness (Romans 6:11-14).

No comments: