Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Let Someone Do Good For You

Why is it so hard to let someone do good for us?

Maybe this isn't a problem for you, but I was confronted by it yesterday as I stood at a register in a sporting goods store, two cents short of what the clerk expected.

From somehere over my right shoulder, I heard very pleasant voice say, "Oh, I have two cents!" A woman that I didn't even know was quick to the draw, digging into her purse to pull out her two copper coins needed for my purchase. I became extremely reluctant to accept her act of kindness and embarrased that I was unprepared. She was all smiles and felt good about "doing my good deed for the day."

I know that feeling. I prefer to have that feeling. You see, I would rather be the one giving two cents than receiving it. Helping people usually brings a rush of good feelings. Being helped is just way too awkward. The $0.02 might as well have been $20. My reaction would've been the same.

It bothers me to think that I would've much rather been on the side of giving away two cents than receiving it. Why should I hog all the good feelings. And, why should I want to deny someone the simple joy of knowing that they've done something to help another. Because I'm a proud human being! But, that's no excuse.

Today, I'm glad I didn't have the two cents. What is more, I'm glad that I didn't have the sense to come up with a way to keep this very nice lady from doing good.

Let someone do good for you. It'll make them smile...and God too!

No comments: